2015 IMPORTANT UPDATE! The parade route has changed!
Parade participants will now assemble at the Clinton County Fairgrounds, not Wilmington High School.
With this change, of course, comes new instructions...
- ALL traffic must enter the Fairgrounds through the Nelson Avenue gate. There will be NO other access.
- Check in with parade committee representatives; they will be stationed near the entrance.
- Arrive earlier than originally planned; we will need additional time to adjust to the new staging process.
- Floats and large specialty vehicles will need to be onsite and in place by 5:00 PM.
- All other entries need to be onsite and in place by 6:00 PM.
- Horse units will be ‘parked’ in the track infield
- Judging will take place between 6:00 and 6:30 PM; watch for the judges in a Wilmington City Transit van.
- Heated indoor space and restrooms will be available during the wait.
- The parade ends at Walnut Street. If there is no need to return to the Fairgrounds, you may head out from there. If necessary, you may return to the Fairgrounds, but be aware that traffic may be a real issue.
- Buses will be available for walkers and others who need to return to the Fairgrounds. Groups also may reposition their vehicles at the end of the parade route.
- Horse units – for your animals’ safety, you cannot travel back to the Fairgrounds on surface streets. Once your animals are unloaded at the Fairgrounds, you will want to reposition your loading equipment behind the License Bureau on Sugartree Street. Please call for further details.
Fairgrounds Entrance Parade Route
Want to be in the parade?
Reserve your space today!
This is your time to shine ... literally! Light up your entry and join us to light up the night during Wilmington's HomeTown HoliDazzle Illuminated Parade and Festival. MAKE IT DAZZLING!
The parade steps off from Wilmington High School at 7:00 PM and makes its way to Historic Downtown Wilmington.
Judging will be completed at the High School before the start of the parade. Winning entries will be highlighted in the following categories:
Best of Season - best overall presentation of Christmas theme
DazzleLicious - most dazzling display of holiday lights
Holiday Harvest - best holiday celebration of our agricultural heritage
HoliLarious - funniest entry
Place Called Home - best presentation of the place we call home
... plus, of course, the Mayor's Choice - the Grand Champion entry!
Click here to apply.
IMPORTANT! Be sure to read all Parade Rules and Regulations and Safety Requirements before submitting your application.
Want more information? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Parade Chairman: Rob Jaehnig
Contact phone: 937.728.6557
Contact email: email@example.com
- Do you have the resources to create a great float, but need some ideas? Do you have a great idea for a float, but need the resources? Let us make a match! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parade Rules and Regulations
- This is an illuminated parade. ALL entries must be well lit.
- There is a maximum of 80 entries. Applications will be evaluated for acceptance based on theme, entertainment value and use of lights (clear and/or colored).
- Application deadline is Saturday, November 21, 2015. Applications will not be accepted or considered after entry deadline. Entries not pre-approved will not be admitted into the parade.
- The HoliDazzle Parade Committee reserves the right to reject any entry that is not in good taste, is inappropriate, or is not in the best interest of the parade.
- Entries depicting a political organization, candidate or controversial issue will not be considered.
- Maximum height for entries is 13.5 feet from ground; maximum width is 9.5 feet.
- All entries should be properly identified with signs or banners with each organization's name and the Parade Identifying Number clearly displayed on the upper right corner of your entry. A holiday message is suggested -- NO sales messages.
- Drivers of motorized vehicles must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license.
- Sirens and horns can only be used with advance approval of the Parade Committee (they frighten young children and animals and compete with musical units).
- A maximum of 100 walkers is permitted with your entry; maximum does not apply to marching bands.
- Equestrian and other animal entries must provide their own accompanying cleanup personnel and equipment. If you have a vehicle, carriage, etc., it must be well lit in keeping with the illuminated theme.
- All parade participants are required to conduct themselves in such a manner so as not to infringe on the rights of those people living in and along the staging areas of the parade route. NO solicitation is allowed during the event.
- The HomeTown HoliDazzle committee will be hosting Santa and Mrs. Claus. No other entries may include a live Santa or Mrs. Claus.
- The City of Wilmington law prohibits throwing items in a parade. Objects MAY NOT BE TOSSED out along the entire parade route or in the staging area; this includes candy, flyers and trinkets.
- There will be no fueling of generators during the parade. Fuel cans are not allowed to be stored on the entry.
- There will be no live fires (including wood stoves) on any floats.
- One current 5-pound ABC dry chemical extinguisher must be carried and accessible on each float.
- There are to be no vision obstructions to tow vehicles. An observer other than the driver is required for all towed entries. The observer can walk or ride with the entry.
- Electrical problems are a concern. During parade staging, safety inspectors will look for common hazards such as exceeding the number of light strands per manufacturer's specifications, faulty extension cords, staples in wiring, etc.
- Float riders must remain on the float throughout the entire parade route (i.e., no one can get on or off the float during the parade).
- Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in the staging area, during the parade, or to be dispersed.
- No smoking on or near entries.
- Please place your generators in a well ventilated area on your entry. We recommend the use of 10-12 gauge wire to the generator.
- Any violation of the rules or safety requirements may result in removal of the unit from the parade.